Margaret River Mermaids claim football championship

The Mermaids put the pressure on in their valiant win over Eaton-Dardanup. 
Photo; Strive Southwest

The Mermaids put the pressure on in their valiant win over Eaton-Dardanup. Photo; Strive Southwest

What a game and a day; the Mermaids took the lead in the first half, Liz Ostrick scoring a great goal that was taken into the break after an exceptionally and brave save from Sabrina Spicer, resulting in a lengthy 8 minutes of stoppage following the collision between her and a Eaton-Dardanup forward.

During the half time break the wind grew in strength, so much so that a bouncy castle took off with kids inside, luckily tipping out as it overturned, before somersaulting over two lines of cars with the generator attached, finally coming to rest against a fence!

One child received minor injuries and thankfully no more were hurt. 

Photo: Strive Southwest

Photo: Strive Southwest

The Margaret River supporters were outnumbered by the home team cheer squad 5 to 1, but it was hard to tell with the Mermaids-backers loud and proud in support of their team. 

The Mermaids withstood tremendous pressure from Eaton-Dardanup, keeping the slender 1-0 advantage, until what can only be described as a dubious penalty - when a coming together between Janaya Beddow and her opponent was converted - levelled the score.

This was the most physical women’s game that I have ever seen - it was absolute carnage as the passionate players gave it their all. Three Eaton-Dardanup players were carried off and Tia Borrello from Margaret River was also helped off the field.

Spicer kept the Mermaids in the game with several more great saves before an opposition player drove a wind-assisted shot from close range, only to see the Mermaids’ keeper make what can only be described as a ‘world class’ save.

Both teams wanted it bad and with extra time looming, Margaret River made what would have been only their third or fourth sortie into Eaton’s territory.

Lynsey Sesin and Niamth Atkin won a series of throw-ins before Eleanor Sibon received a perfect through ball, controlling well before passing to Tanah Woodland-Howden who slotted the ball past their keeper bringing the score 2-1.

Did we sing the song? Bloody oath we did, with the cup held high.

Football Margaret River Captain Liz Ostrick was awarded best on ground, giving us another excuse to sing the club song (as if we needed one).

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide