SWFL - Finals, Week Two: Augusta-Margaret River claims five-point victory over Eaton in semi-final

Augusta-Margaret River claimed its second scalp in one week after taking down Eaton Boomers by five points on Sunday.

Last weekend, the Hawks stunned South Bunbury’s fans with a one-point win over the Tigers at Hands Oval. 

Meanwhile, Eaton was left battered and bruised after its nine-point loss to the Bunbury Bulldogs. 

Eager for an enjoyable afternoon of football, fans from both sides descended upon Glen Huon Reserve. 

A handball from Augusta-Margaret River’s Rhys Owen set up Mitchell Gerrans for his and the game’s first goal. 

At the other end of the ground, the visitors pushed Eaton back and stopped them from gaining the lead. 

The Boomers struggled against the strong easterly breeze and watched as many of their attempts drifted through the point posts. 

Hawk Jack Hick’s attempt from 20 metres out looked promising but then drifted away from goal. 

The Boomers felt a burst of energy and used the counter attack to their advantage, before Boomer Kelvin Lawrence kicked his side’s first for the clash. 

Matthew Jukes had a chance to extend the Hawks’ lead but ended up booting the ball out of bounds. 

Soon after, however, a poor kick-out by Eaton led to Hawk Mitchell Gerrans’s first of four goals for the game. 

Five minutes before quarter time, Brett Dobson’s effort extended the visitors’ lead and put Eaton further in trouble. 

Augusta-Margaret River earned a 3.3.21 to 1.4.10 lead at quarter time, but knew the Boomers would come back harder and stronger in the second. 

After a couple of near misses, Eaton forwards Matthew Scott and Jarrod Humphries answered the call and booted one goal each early in the second term. 

The Boomers’ midfield brought back the dominance and ferociousness that had helped them to reach the finals.

Mitchell Payne put the Hawks back in front with his first goal, right before Boomer Brandon Jetta took back the lead for the home side. 

Tempers flared on and off the field following a major scuffle between both sides. 

After drawing their focus back to the game, the Hawks kicked two goals late in the term and clinched a 6.5.41 to 4.7.31 lead at the main break. 

Eaton was reinvigorated by the crowd, and went on to score two quick goals in the third quarter. 

The Hawks were worried after Payne’s first attempt for the quarter hit the post. 

However, undeterred by the Boomers’ strong line-up and intimating fans, the Hawks then went on a blistering run with immense support from Payne and Mitchell Lynn. 

Eaton was never too far behind, and came within six points after Heath Ryder set up Scott for his second goal. 

Dobson’s spectacular effort from the boundary line pushed the Hawks’ lead back out to 12 points, before he claimed his third late in the quarter.

Carrying a 10.10.70 to 7.8.50 lead into the final change, Augusta-Margaret River looked set to move through to next weekend’s preliminary final. 

The fourth term was filled with impressive goals. Jukes slotted his second right before Boomer Jayme Osiejak booted his side’s 11th for the game. 

Following Scott’s sublime third goal, Jukes’s second for the term put the Hawks in front by 15.

Goals to Jarrod and Herman Humphires then closed the gap, leading to a nail-biting final few minutes of play. 

The siren sounded on the game and the Boomers’ season, with the Hawks going on to celebrate a 12.15.87 to 12.10.82 victory. 

Donnybrook made it through to this year’s grand final with a convincing result against Bunbury Bulldogs at VC Mitchell Park. 

The Dons held a nine-point margin going into the second half and went on to boot three unanswered majors in the third quarter. 

Donnybrook’s fans raved as the side cruised to a 9.5.59 to 4.9.33 win. 

Read more: 

This story Second finals win for Hawks first appeared on Bunbury Mail.