Hatton hassles Hawks in clash against St Marys

ALL CONCENTRATION: Dunsborough’s Nathan Whitney follows through in his delivery stride against the Hawks. Photo: Vanessa Hatton.

ALL CONCENTRATION: Dunsborough’s Nathan Whitney follows through in his delivery stride against the Hawks. Photo: Vanessa Hatton.

A Grade

Hawks v Saints – Hawks were greeted with a green wicket on their arrival at Bovell Park, something rarely seen in recent seasons.

Skipper Mat Kent had no hesitation sending saints in after winning the toss and his opening bowling duo of Rumesh Silva (3 for 11) and Grant Garstone (1 for 16) got the boys off to a great start with 4 quick wickets.

Chris McLean was bought into the attack and when he bowled Thackrah with his first ball the Saints were reeling at 5 for 22. 

Unfortunately the usual brilliance in the field went missing for the next few overs and Saints Old timer Hatton was gifted 3 lives.

He took full advantage of this and his 62 runs changed the momentum of the game, Saints closing out their innings on 9 for 114. 

Hawks started the chase with usual openers Edmonds and McLean striding out to see off the new ball. Things didn’t go to plan with Edmonds being bowled in the first over.

The ever reliable Shane Joyce (12) joined McLean in the middle and the pair got things back on track with smart stroke play and great running between wickets.

Two quick wickets and young gun Kade Dittmar (24) joined McLean in the middle, the boys batted brilliantly putting on 50 and with 25 needed off 3 overs we were in the box seat.

Unfortunately we lost our next 5 wickets for just 12 runs (Including McLean for a well made 48).

It came down to the tail and with 12 needed off the final over it was Hatton again who stood in our way going for just 5 runs.

Hawks V Duns – Hawks lost the toss and skipper Mat Kent decided to give ‘The Big Ship’ McLean a rest down the order.

Lively Rumesh Silva (21) got the call up to kick things off with Gareth Edmonds. Unfortunately Edmonds was once again out in the first over after a great low catch by veteran Nathan Whitney.

Silva hit some lusty blows but the middle order couldn’t get going with Dunsborough fielding exceptionally and catching everything that came their way.

At 6 for 49 we were in desperate need of a partnership, Kade Dittmar (18) again showed his older team mates how to value their wicket and with help from ‘Red Ink’ Crimp we limped to 87 all out.

It was great to see such confidence as we walked out to defend our small total, this winning attitude is a credit to all the boys and makes it a pleasure to play this magnificent game. 

Once again Rumesh Silva (1 for 5 off 4) and Grant Garstone (1 for 28) bowled exceptionally at the start and were both unlucky on several occasions not to claim multiple wickets. Dunsborough rode their luck and at 3 for 53 we needed some inspiration.

Enter Peter Crimp - on song from ball one and worked his magic on the helpless Dunsborough batsmen claiming the brilliant figures of 5 for 11 off 4 overs.

The boys were back to their best in the field with Ahola and Kent taking great outfield catches and Shane Joyce two sharp stumpings.

In the end we just didn’t have enough runs and Dunsborough reached our total in the 19th over for the loss of 7 wickets.

B Grade

Hawks were hoping for a change in fortune going up against third placed St Marys at home on Saturday.

Winning the toss Skipper Shinnick elected to field first which was rewarded almost immediately when openers Alastair Wilkie and Mitchell Broun struck early to have the Saints 2/8.

A partnership then developed only to be thwarted by first change Jordan Stanbury who struck three times to have the visitors reeling at 5/62.

The bowling was first class and with Ashley Marinoni then Danny Weston chiming in with their spin, Saints were under pressure the entire innings.

Special mention to the fielding which backed up the tight bowling, led by keeper Colin Baker who was flawless behind the stumps helped compound the pressure, and with boundary riders Mitch and Stuart Roberts, the Hawks easily saved 20 runs over the innings.

Sustained pressure eventually results in wickets and that is exactly what happened as St Marys were eventually dismissed for 163. 

Runs on the board always puts added pressure on the side batting second.

That being said, we had to go out positive and establish partnerships as our bowlers had shown previously and so the batsmen went to work.

Forcing his way back into the B’s, Ado Bailey and Maurice Shinnick opened the innings. What turned into a game winning opening stand the two were able to pile on 91 before Aeodhan was to fall on 27.

Although not his highest innings of the year it was by far his best as he showed the discipline needed to succeed as an opener.

Stu Roberts came in at 3 and with Shinnick proceeded to establish another 50 run partnership as the two totally took the game away from St Marys.

Roberts fell for 28, then Weston for a quick fire 12 which enabled the possibility of a bonus point win, which was left to Darcy Bailey to get us over the line in the 34th over and move us back into the top 4.

A terrific win by the whole team, and it was a team effort that got us there. Well done boys, such a thrill when plans come together.

Skipper Maurice Shinnick hit a man of the match 81 runs in a classy innings; up there with the best of his career with the Hawks. With 2 centuries to his name at the Nest, this proves how great an innings it was. A true team player, his leadership is second to none. Well done Maurice! – The Hawk

C Grade

Cowaramup won the toss and elected to bat first. Angus Currell (4/22) opened the bowling with Sam Robins (1/10) and both bowled a very tight spell.

Adam Leahy (0/12) and Adrian Brown (1/32) were bought on to replace the two openers and both continued to maintain the momentum created by the opening bowlers. Mugford then brought himself on to replace Leahy and returned figures of 1/32 from 7 overs.

Mark Jones (0/14) was brought on to bowl and was looking good until he rolled his ankle in his second over and had to stop bowling. Ben Shinnick replaced the injured Jones and snared a couple of vital wickets to return figures of 2/14 off his 4.1 overs.

Mark Jones and Angus Currell both came back on to finish and Cowaramup posted a competitive 9/168 from their 40 overs.

Garrath Stewart (44) and James Gannaway (17) opened the batting and were looking good before Gannaway was dismissed bringing Mugford (39) to the crease. Stewart and Mugford furthered the score to 76 before Stewart was out hooking.

This brought Ewan Murray (19) to the crease who saw the Hawks through to drinks with the score at 2-80.

After drinks Cowaramup bowled tightly and restricted the run rate. Murray and Jones (1) were both dismissed in quick succession. Enter Darcy Currell (19), who almost batted the Hawks back into the game with some big hitting, before barbecuing his captain with 15 runs still required from the final 2 overs.

Cowaramup’s total proved too great and the Hawks fell just 9 runs short of victory with 8/159 from their 40 overs.

It was a great game of cricket and as with all defeats there were many positive signs for the youthful Hawks side.

The Hawks will co-host a summer training camp on Thursday, January 17. This is a free camp, for three different groups; 11yo and below, 12 to 16yo, and a coaches’ workshop. The actions starts from 2.45pm at the Western Oval nets.

As there are limited tickets, book now to avoid disappointment. There will be an Australian Cricketers Association player in attendance, whose identity will be revealed soon. Book at www.stickytickets.com.au/80408