Consumer Protection has renewed pleas for consumers to heed washing machine recalls after another house fire broke out last week due to a Samsung top load washing machine.
One of the six Samsung machine models caught fire in the laundry of an Armadale home last week which saw emergency services needed to extinguish the blaze.
The models subjected to the recall were manufactured between 2010 and 2013 and include model numbers: SW75V9WIP; SW65V9WIP; SW70SPWIP; SW80SPWIP; WA85GWGIP and WA85FWWIP.
Commissioner for Consumer Protection Penny Lipscombe said the affected units have an internal fault where condensation can penetrate an electrical connector causing deterioration which may cause fires.
"Affected consumers should remove the recalled machine from their homes as a top priority and seek a refund from the retailer who sold it," she said.
"As this is regarded as a major fault, repair is not an option so consumers should get their money back and arrange to have the recalled washing machines collected by the supplier who will dispose of them.
"The machines should not be re-sold or placed on the verge for bulk rubbish collection, as we want to remove any possibility that they are purchased or picked up by people who may not realise that they are dangerous."
Consumers will be entitles to recover damages from the manufacturer for consequential loss or damage suffered as a result of the faulty product.
Consumers are encouraged to contact Consumer Protection if they have any further enquiries or problems on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 30 40 54.