A 31-year-old Busselton man has avoided jail time after being charged with breach of a family violence restraining order.
In August 2019, Peter Jay Webb was issued a family violence restraining order by the Busselton Magistrates Court.
The order outlined that he was not to be within 10 metres of the protected person or have communication with them.
On January 8, however, police stopped the accused person on Tonkin Boulevard in Margaret River during a traffic stop.
Officers found Webb in the passenger seat of the vehicle with the protected person and was subsequently arrested for breach of the order.
Webb pleaded guilty in the Bunbury Magistrates Court on January 9.
His lawyer told the court the two had met up after Webb heard news of the protected person having a stroke and was concerned for her health.
The court also heard that no threats or allegations of violence had been reported to police and they had simply been having a conversation about Webb's relationship.
Magistrate Belinda Coleman commended Webb for the early plea of guilty and handed down a "simple fine" for the offence.
"Taking into account the particular circumstances of the offending and the fact that you heard your mother was unwell and wanted to check on her welfare... I will give you a fine of $400," she said.
Webb, who had been in custody since his arrest, was released following his sentencing with the restraining order still in place, which police prosecution supported.
He was also ordered to pay costs of prosecution on top of his $400 fine.