Busselton cruise ship stop cancelled for second time this month

Photo: Stock Image.
Photo: Stock Image.

For the second time in less than two weeks, poor weather conditions have prevented more than 2,000 passengers and crew from making their scheduled stop in the state's South West.

Tourism operators and local retailers were advised of the Sun Princess stop cancellation via email on Wednesday afternoon, January 22, after swells hit up to six metres.

News of the cancellation came just 12 days after that same cruise ship was forced to cancel its January 10 stop in Busselton because poor weather conditions had prevented it from leaving Albany.

The cruise ship was one of two expected to dock in Busselton that weekend - both of which were anticipated to bring a $250,000 boost to the region's economy.

Fortunately, the poor weather in Albany did subside, allowing the Vasco Da Gama to call in on January 11.

With each passenger typically spending about $100 per visit, and up to 25 per cent having pre-booked tours of the South West, City of Busselton mayor Grant Henley said the city had been unlucky and the cancellation was disappointing for all those involved.

"The loss is generally in terms of the potential spend of visiting passengers, noting that each passenger spends around $100 per visit," he said.

"The loss of that potential extra income is obviously disappointing for retailers.

"In fact, everyone involved in the ship's arrival whether in a volunteer and commercial capacity will be disappointed.

"However, the decision to anchor and disembark will always be made by the cruise line with the safety and comfort of the passengers taking precedence.

"Unfortunately, we've been unlucky on this occasion."

The Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association had been working in partnership with the city, community and business groups to welcome cruise ship passengers.