LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Federal treasurer Josh Frydenberg has lashed Victoria over its lockdown stance, which will allow people from NSW to visit but no freedom of movement for Melburnians.
* That's despite vaccination rates rapidly rising across the southern state, with 88 per cent of people having received a first dose and 65 per cent a second.
* Case numbers continued to soar across Victoria after it reported 1993 new local infections on Saturday.
* There were seven deaths in Victoria, including a 15-year-old girl who is the youngest victim of the state's third wave.
* Police made several arrests as anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine protesters attempted to congregate near Princes Park in Melbourne's inner north.
* NSW reported 319 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 and two deaths as the state reached its target of 80 per cent full vaccination for people aged over 16.
* Premier Dominic Perrottet confirmed NSW had hit the milestone, breaking the news via social media on Saturday afternoon.
* The double-dose landmark means restrictions will ease further on Monday, just one week after fully vaccinated people in NSW exited lockdown.
* Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein wants extra penalties dished out to a virus-infected NSW man whose hotel quarantine escape sparked a snap three-day lockdown.
* The island state recorded no new cases on Saturday following a three-day, stay-at-home regime set down for Hobart and other southern areas.
* The 31-year-old man has refused to co-operate with contact tracers after being arrested in the capital on Tuesday at the end of an 18-hour stint at large. His primary close contact list has jumped to 158 people.
* The ACT reported another 20 locally acquired COVID-19 cases while handing residents a green light to visit 26 extra NSW postcodes as part of relaxing quarantine requirements.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 32,296,435 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Saturday, including 301,694 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 18,891,741 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 197,530 in the previous 24 hours).
* 13,404,694 have been administered by the states and territories, including 104,164 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 84.4 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 67.2 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 2332 local cases on Saturday: 1993 in Victoria, 319 in NSW and 20 in the ACT.
* There were also seven hotel quarantine cases: three in Queensland, two in NSW, and one each in WA and SA.
* The national death toll is 1514: Victoria 958, NSW 516, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, ACT 9, and SA 4. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 240,071,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,889,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,586,889,000.
Data current as at 1700 AEDT on October 16, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press